Job Title: Communications Director
Organization: Arizona Center for Empowerment/ Living United for Change in Arizona
Status: Salaried, full time 40 hours per week, exempt
Reports to: Executive Directors
Location: Must be in Arizona- Hybrid work and must be able to travel at least 25% of the time
Salary Range: $80,000.00-$90,000.00 DOE
Arizona Center for Empowerment (ACE) is a community-led and driven organization committed to raising new leadership in Arizona through confronting the most pressing needs of its often-under-served communities. We seek to create a more inclusive and just standard of equality in the state of Arizona through civic engagement and strategic efforts regarding issues such as immigration, democracy and voting rights, living wages, and education. By increasing opportunities for education, leadership development, technical assistance and training, ACE supports the work of community organizations
and leaders who are transforming their communities to create a more sustainable future for all of Arizona's families. Living United for Change in Arizona (LUCHA) is an organization led by changemakers fighting for social, racial, and economic transformation. We organize low- and moderate-income and minority families to take action on the issues most important to them and advance the cause of social and economic justice for all.
LUCHA/ACE seeks a strategic, adaptable, and innovative storyteller to be our next Communications Director. The communications director is tasked with developing and supporting the growth and thinking of the ACE/LUCHA communications team to build narrative power and advance the goals of the organization. The communications director is responsible for ideating, developing, implementing, and evaluating our internal communications strategies across issue areas. In collaboration with the Senior leadership team, we will generate a strategic plan and a communications strategy to produce high-quality content and galvanize brown, Black, indigenous and other communities of color as we forge new ways toward justice and liberation.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Oversee and work alongside the communications manager to develop and execute communications the following responsibilities:
● Collaborate with staff across the different issue programs to develop communications plans to support their campaigns and projects; including support with generating and distributing reports.
● Work closely with the Digital team to utilize social media, email, and direct mail to engage our supporters and promote our campaign narratives.
● Developing, coordinating and implementing creative communications strategies that accompany LUCHA/ACE’s organizing and advocacy campaigns. This includes overseeing and supporting the production of communications materials for organizational campaigns, such as fliers, talking points, fact sheets, social media toolkits and other relevant materials.
● Develop and maintain relationships with local and national journalists, reporters, and other media contacts.
● Create and manage an earned media content calendar for both, ACE and LUCHA.
● Serve as a designated point of contact to ensure external messaging is consistent and streamlined.
● Leading Rapid Response Communications. Proactively monitoring, strategizing and implementing responses to current news events through LUCHA/ACE’s social, racial and economic justice lens.
● Work with staff to create and maintain up-to-date press kits and talking points for the different campaigns on issues related to LUCHA/ACE work.
● Work with partners and coalitions to develop messaging and support collective communications as needed.
● Respond to media inquiries with relevant data and analysis, or by facilitating connections with experts inside or outside our team.
● Train and support staff and members on communications-related activities and spokespersonship
● Create materials including press releases and op-eds.
● Support the Development team in fundraising-related communications.
● Serve on ACE/LUCHA’s senior management team. Participate in setting organizational policies, and priorities, advancing organizational vision & plans, etc.
The Communications Director should be a highly organized, a visionary who appreciates collaborative autonomy and thrives in a people-filled environment that is ever-evolving. They have a deep commitment to Black liberation, trans-liberation, immigrant rights, and ending other white supremacist systems impacting marginal groups. Additional qualifications (can be a professional, lived experience, or volunteer work) include:
● Associates degree preferred or at least 5-7 years of experience developing, implementing, and evaluating communications strategies for advocacy, nonprofit, or base-building organizations
● Experience managing organizational and programmatic communications
● Strong project and time management skills, including a high level of organization, attention to detail, and follow-through, while balancing and prioritizing multiple activities and responsibilities
● Ability to work with a wide variety of stakeholders and audiences
● Strong writing skills.
● Experience managing staff.
● Ability to travel.
● Ability to work some evenings and weekends.
● Experience with CRMs like MuckRack and Every Action
● Must be Bilingual in English and Spanish.
HUGE PLUS, BUT NOT REQUIRED:
● Experience with WordPress and Wix
● This is a Full-time, Salaried Position Starting June 2022
● Salary Range is $73,930.00-$84,780.00, with a wellness stipend, health, vision, dental, and 25K life insurance
● Hybrid workplace- must be based in Arizona and available for some in-person events.
● Work from home stipend
● Complimentary access to therapy and counseling with AES
● A team with diverse experiences
● Generous paid time off, including a winter break.
● After one year of employment, we offer a generous paternity and maternity leave
● Passionate, fun, creative, and innovative team
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the person holding this position. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. LUCHA /ACE reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary.
Equal employment opportunity and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles at LUCHA, where employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law.